Easily remove tree stumps with a rented grinder.
Stump grinders come in different styles and sizes. Your local, ARA-affiliated rental store professional can help you find the one that best meets your needs.
- Walk-behind stump grinder. Individuals who have no experience with stump grinding or who only have one small stump to grind often prefer renting this style of stump grinder for its ease of use and transportability. Rental walk-behind stump grinders often have engines rated at 13 horsepower (hp), but some models can have engines with up to 25 hp. Cutter wheels on these stump grinders range from 11 to14 inches wide. In addition, models may offer self-propelled operation.
- Self-propelled stump grinder. These gas- or diesel-powered stump grinders offer 25- to 90-hp engines, cutting widths up to 72 inches, mobility and compactness. The self-propelled feature means it can be driven to worksites that could otherwise not be reached to deliver a walk-behind or towable unit. Some of the more compact self-propelled units even can fit through standard fence gates, making them ideal for residential applications. Self-propelled stump grinders also may come equipped with radio remote control capabilities.
- Towable stump grinder. If you plan to clear a large, open area of many tree stumps, then you may prefer to rent a towable stump grinder. This type of stump grinder offers more horsepower and a larger cutter wheel than most self-propelled models do. Depending upon the size of the towable stump grinder you rent, you could tow it using either a small vehicle or larger truck.
- Tracked stump grinder. Advantages of renting tracked stump grinders include traveling over rough areas of land easily and moving over landscaped lawns without causing damage.
- Trailers. Rent a trailer for transporting a heavier, non-towable stump grinder easily.
- Accessories. Renting or buying personal protective equipment offers protection.
Benefits of renting a stump grinder
A tree cut down either intentionally or by an act of God leaves an unsightly stump in the ground. Stump grinders, also known as stump cutters, can remove the final evidence that the tree ever existed. The sharp teeth on the stump grinder’s cutting wheel cut into the stump and pulverize it. Here are some reasons to rent a stump grinder.
- Helpful. Clear land for new construction and to remove stumps for landscaping ascetics.
- Saves time and labor. Do not attempt the backbreaking work of removing a large stump by cutting it using an axe or handsaw and then digging it out with a shovel. Instead, rent a stump grinder and remove it quickly and easily.
- Control costs. Most people would not consider buying a stump grinder for themselves and even find it cost prohibitive to hire a professional to remove stumps. Renting offers a practical solution for stump removal. Moreover, if a storm takes out several trees in one area, neighbors can save money by sharing the cost of the stump grinder rental for final cleanup touches.
- Establish or expand a business Renting stump grinders enables entrepreneurs to offer stump removal services without a large initial capital investment for quality equipment. It also helps established tree-trimming businesses expand into stump removal services inexpensively. Some small contractors prefer renting stump grinders because it allows them to use newer equipment, but not have to maintain it entirely on their own.
Equipment that cuts aggressively, such as a stump grinder, requires extra caution. Before you use this equipment, please review the tips below and read all manufacturer warnings and instructions. Your local, ARA-affiliated rental store professional can provide you with complete instructions. Some rental stores offer how-to video instructions for information on using the equipment safely and effectively.
- Read all manufacturer warnings and instructions prior to using your rented stump grinder.
- Follow safe lifting practices when loading and unloading rented walk-behind stump grinders.
- Properly secure rented stump grinder for transport.
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Never wear loose clothing or jewelry that can catch on the rented stump grinder during use.
- Ensure hands and feet stay clear of the rented stump grinder’s cutting parts.
- Keep onlookers at an appropriate distance from the worksite.
- Clear the stump and surrounding area of any rocks or debris.
- Situate the rented stump grinder on level ground for use.
- Check and, if needed, service fluid levels in rented stump grinders before use.
- Follow manufacturer’s recommendations for starting and shutting off the rented stump grinder’s engine.
- To grind stump, position the stump grinder’s cutter wheel above the stump, slowly lower it to the stump and work the grinder from side to side over a small area of the stump until you reach the desired grinding depth. Then, move to the next area and repeat the process. Continue in this manner until you have cut the entire stump. Do not force the rented stump grinder into the stump. Instead, let the grinder’s cutting wheel do the work.
Contact your local, ARA-affiliated, rental store for information on available rental products and services to meet your stump grinder needs. To locate the rental store nearest you, use the Rental Store Quick Locator above.